Saturday, June 18, 2011

Might This Be Giant?

In short, probably not. As some of you who may be reading this now (and I am equal parts amazed and thankful that you're doing so) are aware, I've been thinking about the possibilities of becoming a writer for some time now. I'll spare you the details, but I want people (at least those here) to know that neither the desire to be a writer nor the idea to start this blog were spur of the moment. I'm aware that, especially in the early going (and probably well after that), the number of people who see this will be limited at best. Few as the visitors may be, it's a safe assumption that those who do stop by will be people close to me, which is a part of the reason I'm doing this.

I was talking to a close friend of mine recently about being a writer, and in the course of our conversation he told me that there is no reason that I can't be writing now. It was such an obvious idea I didn't even want to acknowledge it at first. As I thought about it, I realized he was right. Look, I know that I'm not the first aspiring (i.e. wannabe) writer to start a blog. I know I wouldn't even be the first person to start a career in writing through a personal blog (not something I'm expecting, just making an observation). That being said, sometimes a good idea is still a good idea the next time around (and even the time after that).

I don't always know what I'm going to write about here. I have a few things in mind for specific posts, but I imagine the only real connection between the things I write here is the fact that I wrote something here. I'm sure some topics will overlap, and a similar theme or trend may emerge over time, but that will happen if and when it does. For now, this blog functions as a place for three things. First, it provides me with a forum (forum is a tad grandiose for a personal blog, but run with me for a moment) to write whatever it is I feel like writing about. Secondly, it gives those writings a place to be seen by a few more people than whatever word document or notepad I may jot something down in. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it gives you a chance to give me something back. I realize it's a lot to ask for people to come here and actually read through whatever I put up, but I'm asking for more than that. I want to know what people think. I want to know what you find interesting, what you find funny, what you find painfully unreadable. If you have comments on the layout itself (which will most likely always be changing) I want to know those too. I also don't want anyone to feel like they shouldn't comment on something. If you have found your way to this blog or some post on it, I want to know what you think.

That's it for now. If you're reading these words right now, thank you. You've just made it through the first of what will ideally be many posts here. I hope it was as painless as possible, I hope they get better, and I hope you are all a part of it.

(I'm not sure yet, and it may not bother anyone as much as it bothers me, but I can't seem to indent my paragraphs. Minor details, but it's not sitting well with me.)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Long time coming. The lack of indents didn't bother me. The spaces between the paragraphs make it tre readable. (yay!)

    ReplyDelete